Definitions of Spiritualism
1. Spiritualism is the science, philosophy and religion of continuous life based on the demonstrated fact of communication, by means of mediumship, with those is in the spirit world.
2. A Spiritualist is a person who believes, as the basis of his or her chosen religion, in communication between this and the Spirit World by mediumship, and endeavors to mold his or her character and conduct in accordance with the highest teachings derived from such communion.
3. A Medium is one who is sensitive to vibrations from the Spirit World and who through intelligence, education, and openness to that world, is able to convey messages to those on the Earth plane.
4. A Spiritualist Healer is one who, either through his or her inherent powers or through Mediumship is able to impart vital curative force to pathologic conditions.
5. The Phenomena of Spiritualism consist of Prophecy, Clairvoyance, Laying on of the Hands, Clairaudience, Gift of Tongues, Healings, Visions, Trance, Apports, Revelation. Levitation, Raps, Automatic Handwriting and Paintings, Spirit Photography, Materialization, Psychometric, Voice and other manifestation proving the physical and Spiritual Senses and faculties of Man
6.Spiritualism is a Philosophy; it studies the laws of nature both on the seen and unseen sides of life and bases its conclusions upon present observed facts. It accepts statements of observed facts of past ages and conclusions drawn there from, which sustained by reason and results of observed facts of the present day.
7.Spiritualism is a Religion; it strives to understand and comply with physical mental and spiritual laws of nature “which are the laws of God.”
8.Spiritualism is a Science; Modern Spiritualism attempts to "examine all theories according to known principles of examination and classifications as found in all scientific endeavors. With each new, proven idea in science, we find the ordered existence of life". Spiritualists generally respect mainstream science and do their best to use science to gather support for the "Spirit Hypothesis". This theory postulates that there is spirit agency manifesting all around us. It is further understood that this spirit agency is intelligent and communicative with humans on the earth plane because these spirits were once where we are now.
These definitions are from the NSAC. We have, however, modified them to fit the view of our Independent Spiritualist Church.